Quebec: Apple Crisp

By Samantha Pinnow




            This recipe is, in my eyes, one of the best desserts there is. In one way, it reflects the culture in Quebec, and in another, it has a great personal value to me. In regards to the culture, we all know that the province we live in is known for apples. We harvest numerous kinds of this fruit such as McIntosh, Spartan, Cortland, Empire, and many more. So, having all these fields with apples, we also get the chance to go to different farms and pick all the apples ourselves. Going apple picking is a very common outing for families with children and gives the kids the chance to see different things on the farm, including the usual tractor ride. As for the personal side, this was a recipe that was passed down from my grandmother. She used to take my mom and her siblings apple picking every year just like my parents always did. After our outing, we would go back home and start cooking. My sister and dad would make some apple jelly and my mom and I would work on the apple crisp. For as long as I can remember, my family has made this delicious dessert on several special occasions and it’s a favourite for all of us.


Recipe (makes 6 servings)

Ingredients

– 6-8 apples, cored and sliced
– 2 tbsp lemon juice
– ½ cup brown sugar
– 1 tbsp flour
– ½-1 tsp ground cinnamon
– ¼ tsp salt

  Topping:

– ½ cup nuts, chopped (optional)
– ¾ cup brown sugar
– ¾ cup rolled oats
– ¼ cup melted butter

Procedure
  1. Combine apples, lemon juice, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt.
  2. Put mixture into a greased baking dish or 9-inch square cake pan.
  3. Blend topping ingredients to make a crumbly mixture.
  4. Sprinkle over the apple mixture.
  5. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for about 30 minutes or until apples are soft and topping is golden.
  6. Serve hot or cold, with whipped cream or ice cream, if you wish.
  Tips:
  – Cortland apples are the best to use because they won’t fall apart when cooked.
  – Personally, I think it tastes better if you double the amount of topping.




Photo source:  http://confessionsofafatgirl.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/05/foodphoto.jpg