Mexico: Chicken Quesadilla

By Dylan Cordes




           On a hot summer day, nobody wants to be stuck inside for hours, slaving away in the kitchen to prepare a meal. People want simple, quick to prepare recipes with delicious results. In my family’s case, we love to eat chicken quesadillas. My cultural background is very diverse and includes many nationalities. I don’t tend to eat food from any of my cultures more often than from any other. Chicken quesadillas have just always been a favourite for us. In my household, my mother is the chef-extraordinaire, and she whipped up her own version of our Mexican food of preference. Actually, I enjoyed some today prior to putting together this recipe assignment. The importance of chicken quesadillas to my family is that we all love to eat them, plain and simple. Whenever my mom has prepared them for guests, they only had positive things to say. What makes them so irresistible is how all the ingredients combine to create so many interesting textures and flavours. How did this Mexican food tradition start? It was actually just a rather random suggestion I made to my mom one night when I had a craving for something with a nice spicy and tangy kick to it. She went to work, using her culinary expertise to create our own dynamic chicken quesadillas. When we all realized just how awesome they are, they became a common meal for my family. That’s how my family of Portuguese, Polish, French, English and several other cultures came to love chicken quesadillas.

     
Recipe

Ingredients

– 2 chicken breasts, pre-cooked
– ½ onion, chopped
– ½ cup salsa
– sprinkle of paprika
– pinch of garlic powder
– salt and pepper for added flavour
– ¼ tsp chili powder
– lemon juice from ½ lemon
– 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
– 8 flour tortillas

  Topping:

– 1 cup chopped tomato
– 1 cup chopped green pepper
– ¼ cup shallots (chopped green onion)
– plain yogurt or sour cream (desired amount)
– chili sauce (desired amount)

Procedure
  1. Combine ingredients between tortillas and place in preheated oven at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes.


Photo source:
  http://loscaboslakeside.com/menu/lunch/