Italy: Pizzelle

By Jonathan Petraroia




           As we all know, when you are eating at an Italian home, there is always a big meal. It starts off with the melon and prosciutto at the beginning, then continues to the soup, then the pasta, and then the three different types of meat. But never forget the sweetest part of the meal: dessert. The pizzelle is usually eaten as dessert with a nice espresso. It is also eaten in the morning for breakfast. The pizzelle has many different flavors. There is lemon, vanilla, chocolate, and just plain. My favorite since I’ve been small has been the lemon pizzelle.
           This recipe has been in my family for a long time. It was passed on to my grandmother from her mother in Italy. It has now been passed on to me and my siblings. Since I was a child, my grandmother would feed it to me, and now every time I go over, she always gives me a full bag of the cookies to bring home. This cookie is very special to me, as I have been raised eating it.
           The pizzelle is always on the table at every special occasions and holidays. Christmas wouldn’t be the same without the pizzelle on the table when serving dessert, as my grandfather would say. There are only some places in Montreal where you can find a pizzelle maker. It is most likely you will find the maker in Little Italy at Fruiterie Milano, and at Rossi. A little secret about the pizzelle that I discovered is having it with some Nutella.


Recipe

Ingredients

– 6 eggs
– 2 cups flour
– 1 cup sugar
– ½ cup milk
¼ cup butter
– 1 tbsp lemon zest

Procedure
  1. Beat egg.
  2. Add flour.
  3. Add milk and stir together.
  4. Add butter.
  5. Add lemon zest.
  6. Blend all ingredients together.
  7. Take a tablespoon and put it into the pizzelle maker. Wait until the machine indicates it is ready.


    Photo source:  http://media.photobucket.com/image/Pizzelle/mclayfamily/PIZZELLE5.jpg