Italy: Torta di Riso

By Alessia Monaco




           Easter without a traditional rice cake would not be the same in a typical Italian home. This recipe has been passed down through generations, from my great grandparents, to my grandparents, to my parents, and down to me. This was originally my great grandmother's recipe; she passed it down to my grandmother and now, I have the privilege of letting other people know of this wonderful but complex recipe. This rice cake is a tradition to Italians because in the days of my great grandparents, times were more difficult, and rice was one of the most affordable and easily obtained ingredients and with that, they created this mouth-watering dessert. As the years passed, Italians have actually adapted this recipe. For example, instead of using rice, some would substitute ricotta. After the first piece, you'll be coming back for more and be wishing it was Easter every day.
           Not only is this dessert delicious beyond belief, but in my family, it's a way of bringing us together. On Easter, the time and effort put into making this cake with my grandmother would be the best part of Easter. Not everybody is close to their grandparents―I know people who only see their grandparents once every few months. If I were to see my grandparents only every few months, I don't know what I would do. This time spent with my grandparents is the time I cherish the most. My grandparents are a big part of my life; they've raised me, taken care of me, and they always find a way to put a smile on my face, even on my worst days. This is the reason why I have decided to share this recipe with everyone for this assignment. For anyone who is brave enough to attempt it, I hope it gives you more than a full stomach, but also quality time to spend with the ones you love, whether family, or even a friend.


Recipe

Ingredients

– 750 g rice
– 2 L milk
– 20 oz sugar
– 1 grated lemon peel
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 10 egg yolks
– 2 eggs
– 2 tbsp sugar
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 3 oz oil
– flour as needed

Procedure

  Rice
  1. The night before, put the rice in water and leave it overnight.
  2. In the morning, drain the rice and put it in a pan over medium heat.
  3. Mix in milk and add sugar. Add the grated lemon peel and cinnamon. Stir until mixed together.
  4. Remove from heat and let stand until cool enough to add the egg yolks.
  Dough
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
  2. Put 1 cup of flour in a bowl. Add eggs and mix in sugar, baking powder, and oil. It is recommended to mix the dough by hand.
  3. Add more flour if needed until the dough can be rolled with a rolling pin.
  4. Roll out the dough. The dough must be rolled long enough to fit the bottom and sides of a cooking pan, and the dough should not be any thicker than half a centimetre.
  5. Pour the rice into the pan. With the remainder of the dough, you can decorate the top to your liking. For example, stripes from one end to the other creating a checkered effect.
  6. Put the cake in the oven and let cook for about an hour or until the top is a golden brown. Let cool before eating.
  Buon appetito. :)



Photo source:  http://www.academiabarilla.com/anteprima_emilia-torta-riso-dsc_4424_0326.aspx