Philippines: Banana Pancake

By Shane Ward





           My mom is from the Philippines and my dad is from England. Luckily for me, this means that I can eat a lot of rice and drink a lot of beer. :) But unfortunately for me, my mom was never much of a cook, so I didn't grow up enjoying all the delicious Filipino specialties (like adobo and pancit) that I have come to know and love since moving away from home and meeting Filipinos who can cook!
           I think that people from the Philippines have a serious sweet tooth; they have been known to drink sweetened condensed milk right out of the can and call that dessert. This would explain why all of my mother's teeth have all fallen out. When she was craving something sweet, my mom would rummage around in the cupboards until she found the fixings for banana pancakes. She always said she couldn't quite remember the recipe, but no matter how she made them, or if she served them with jam or syrup or just dipped them in white sugar, they were delicious every time.
           Banana pancakes are best warm for dessert and cold leftovers are great for a snack. You can tell yourself that they're healthy (since they contain fruit), but you'd be lying. Healthy options would include replacing the flour with whole wheat flour and replacing the white sugar with maple syrup or honey. A more tasty option would be to caramelize some banana slices in butter and brown sugar and serve them as a pancake topping.


Recipe

Ingredients

200 g all-purpose flour
– 1½ tsp baking powder
– ½ tsp salt
– 6 tsp sugar
– ½ tsp ground nutmeg
– 1 egg
– 1 cup milk
– 1 cup bananas, mashed
– 2 tsp lemon juice


Procedure
  1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well, making sure that there are no lumps in the batter.
  2. Heat a non-stick pan and ladle about ½ cup of batter per pancake. Cook on low heat to cook both sides evenly.
  3. Serve with your favourite pancake topping. My mom usually dipped hers in white sugar but I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to lose all of your teeth too!


Photo source:  http://www.manifestvegan.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/1-vegan-gluten-free-peanut-butter-banana-pancakes.jpg