Lebanon: Fattoush

By Jennifer Chammas




           Fattoush is a traditional Lebanese salad served with several other dishes like tabboule and hummus. It is made from pita bread and fresh vegetables such as cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, and mint. Fattoush is now found all around the world: the Arabian countries, Canada, America, and Mexico. This salad, like all other salads, is very healthy; it provides you with carbohydrates. It is served in all the Lebanese restaurants, family reunions, daily lunch or dinner; most Lebanese people eat fattoush daily. The preparations of this salad started naturally because of the pita bread that was left out and dried. I chose to share this recipe because it is somehow important to me since it reminds me of my grandmother. Ever since I was a kid she used to tell me: “kele teta taybin”, which meant “eat my grandchild, it’s good”. She was the one that introduced me to fattoush. Every Sunday, all the family gathered at my grandparents' house, and I remember that I would be the first one sitting at the table, waiting to be the first one served. Fattoush has been a part of my life ever since I was a kid, and will continue to be. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.


Recipe


Ingredients

– 2 large pita breads (stale is okay)
– 3 tbsp vegetable oil
– 2 heads romaine lettuce
– ½ cup fresh parsley, minced
– ½ cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
– 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
– 2 medium cucumbers, peeled and quartered (or if they are mini cucumbers, use four or five and just slice them)
– 2 green onions including tops, chopped

  Fattoush dressing:

– ¼ cup lemon juice
– ⅓ cup olive oil
– 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
– 1 tbsp sugar
– ½ tsp sumac powder (available online or at Middle Eastern Grocery Stores―leave it out if you can't find it)
– 2 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped or 2 tsp dried
– ½ tsp salt
– ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper

Procedure
  1. Cut the pita loaves into 1 inch squares.
  2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add the pita bread pieces and stir in the oil until crisp. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. This can be done several days ahead. The pita pieces can be kept longer in an airtight container.
  3. Mix all salad ingredients. Add the bread pieces and toss with the dressing. Serve immediately.


Photo source:  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fattoush.JPG